You can do a lot of things on an empty stomach. Sleep, is best experienced on an empty stomach. But, there are certain things that you should never do on an empty stomach.
Avoid drinking coffee right after you wake up. Heading for that freshly brewed cup of coffee first thing in the morning can do you more harm than good.
Drinking coffee on an empty stomach increases acidity, which in turn causes heartburn and indigestion throughout the day.
There are however some potential negative effects of coffee, particularly at certain times and when it becomes so addictive that you find it difficult to go a day without it.
Furthermore, the coffee will increase the levels of cortisol in the blood, making us not able to return to our body’s normal state for a long time.
Consuming coffee on an empty stomach will also increase the levels of stomach acid, which can to bloating and vomiting.
Indigestion and Heartburn Tips
- It’s best to eat several small meals instead of two or three large meals.
- Don’t drink coffee with an empty stomach
- Spicy foods, foods that have a lot of acid (like tomatoes and oranges), and coffee can make heartburn symptoms worse in some people. If your symptoms are worse after you eat a certain food, you may want to stop eating that food to see if your symptoms get better.
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid fried foods
- Avoid alcohol, especially spirits.
- Avoid carbonated drinks (with and without caffeine).
- Avoid eating large meals late at night
Lifestyle Prevention for Heartburn
- Avoid straining if constipated or if lifting keep your mouth open to equalize your abdominal pressure.
- Allow 2 – 3 hours to pass after eating before you lie down.
- Raise the head of your bed (with two bricks) so that the chest is higher than your feet.
- Wear looser-fitting clothing.
- Lose weight, if you are overweight.
- Wait at least 2 hours after eating before exercising.
- When exercising, breathe out slowly when straining the stomach of lifting.
- Gentle running is better than weight lifting.
- If swimming learn to breath well as there is a tendency to hold the breath and strain, especially with breast stroke.
- Keep a heartburn journal to tract foods or activities that provoke your symptoms.
- Drink good quality organic coffee with less acidity.